Built about 1400 in the style of a Wealden house with a central recessed hall open to the roof and two-storied rooms on either side, the upper rooms jettied to the front – all built under a single roof.
A ceiling was inserted above the hall about 1600 and a chimney stack built for fireplaces in both hall and the new room above. Later another stack was built in the parlour for fireplaces in that room and the room above.
The property remained a house for some 300 years until the first mention of its change of use to an inn in 1723 when leased to one John Cumber, victualler. More recently, from 2004, brothers Iain & Scott Ganson have continued to develop trade and the pub has become renowned for its range of ever-changing real ales, excellent fare and convivial atmosphere.